Sunday 25 January 2015

Design Iterations - Evaluation

Evaluation 


When evaluating how well I have performed in this unit I will be basing it of the brief that has been set. The first aspect of the brief was:

Create a piece of interactive information for a shared public space, which is intended to elucidate/explain some idea or concept you perceive as key to our 21st century media experience

In terms of this aspect of the brief I do not believe that I have entirely meet it. This is because as a piece of interactive work, which engages people, the installation that I have made I think is satisfactory. However the brief stated to "create a piece of interative information design....intended to elucide/example some an idea or concept". In this terms I do not believe that the work that I have made meets the brief. This is because as Department of Design stated "information design is the practice of presenting information in a way that fosters efficient and effective understanding of it" (Design 2014). When looking at my work and a definition information design it is clear that it has not meet the brief. This is because my does not convery any information about any media concept. However despite my piece of work not meeting the brief in terms of traditional forms of information design, the brief did leave room for the installation to be artistic and abstract. As mentioned in a previous blog post my piece of work was more artistic and abstract and was a reflection of the concept of a digital footprint, with the user leaving a trail behind them as they navigated through the environment. I believe in terms of a using a media concept in a abstract way I have create an interactive information design the installation works, however in terms of the traditional idea of information design it does not convey the information. 

The fact that what I have created something that has not completely meet the brief is I believe down not correctly planning my work and losing sight of what the work was being made for. In future I am going to have to ensure that the work that I create one does meet the brief more effectively and secondly that all projects that I set out on have been clearly planned and has a very clear end destination. Because at many points in this project I was becoming conflicted at what I wanted to, as seen with me starting with a face swap project and then quoting it because I decided that I wanted to do something with facial tracking. This I believe was a fundamental mistake because I believe in meeting the brief the face swap project would have meet it greater because there are many media concepts that could have linked to, such as hyper reality and a social message of people trying to pretend to be someone that they are. This is a lesson that I have learnt, which is to follow through with an idea instead of leaving it dead in the water. I will aim to finish the face swap outside of this unit. 

In terms of the second part of the brief which was to work within a iterative work process. I believe that I have done so, to some extent. Looking at the below graphic, which is of the whirlpool method, I believe that I have in some small way completed each aspect of this method. This is because even though my planning was not very good and I had lost sight of why I was making something the simple fact is that I created an installation tested it made changes based of what people wanted from it and then implemented that design. Although I did not correctly plan the project the fact that I tested and changed the installation based of feedback is a part of the iterative design process, and is a part that I will do on all projects in the future, because through testing I was able to find mistakes that I would not be able to find without the testing. 

Whirlpool Method


Overall I am partially satisfied with how I preformed in this unit. I am disappointed that what I created did not entirely meet the brief of creating an information graphic, however this entire unit has been a very large learning curve. I have learnt how important it is to throughly plan a project so that it does meet a brief that has been set. As well as that correctly planning a project will save me in future going of on tangents and not having a clear idea of what my project will be in the end. Within this unit I have also learned the importance of conducting research both on the intended target audience and the area in which the work will be placed. This is because people simply do not act and interact with an area or technology in the way that as designer you expect (Fredhiem 2011). This means that throughly finding out how the target audience interacts with whatever is being made is imperative, because if you can understand how people interact with the design of your work you can tailer it so that there is a greater user experience. The last thing that I have learnt from this experience is the importance of every aspect of design. This is because within the creation of my circle tracking project  I turned the background of the work to black. It had never crossed my mind that this would make installation look like there was nothing there when the tracking was not in action. This means in the future I will have to ensure that every little aspect of the design is thoroughly thought through. 


Reference List 

Department of Graphic Information Design, 2014. Graphic/Information Design Department Overview. Department of Design, Available from: http://www.design.ccsu.edu [Accessed 25 January 2015].

Friedheim, H., 2011. Why User Experience Cannot Be Designed. Smashing Magazine, Available from: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/03/15/why-user-experience-cannot-be-designed/ [Accessed 25 January 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment